My Retrograde Survival Guide
A Few of My Favorite Things
You know how it goes, some days are all sunshine, rainbows, and palm trees waving in the breeze. Other days, well…not so much. Your umbrella maybe literally or metaphorically blowing inside out while you walk into the wind. Sometimes we all need a little help to get back on the sparkle train. Especially when we know how powerfully our thoughts and focus affect what is happening in our lives.
Retrograde cycles, while insightful, can also be notoriously challenging to navigate. If you’re not feeling your usual sense of alignment, not only do you want to do things that bring you back to center, but you also don’t want to do anything that will further lower your vibration. Counterintuitively these are the first things we want to reach for when feeling down: *caffeine, sugar, starch, alcohol. Of course they all sound fun & may seem like a great fix, but each / all will only bring you down faster, or leave you jittery and anxious.
(*Disclaimer: If you are a coffee fiend that can’t make it out the front door without your morning hit, and trust me I’ve been there, this is probably not the best day to kick that habit. But, try not to have more than that one essential cup or go for a more soothing version)
So what can you do for a quick and easy attitude adjustment when you’re feeling more harried than happy place? Here are a few of may favorite go-to’s for a little self love to get you back on track and manifesting to your heart’s content.
I try to make sure that all are always on hand for Mercury Retrograde. Or rainy days. Or Mondays, or …well you get the gist!
- Notes from the Universe: If you have yet to read the incredible Notes from the Universe you are missing out. Immediately sign yourself up for the free Monday-Friday emails. These are amazing daily reminders of what you want for yourself, and the universal support that abounds to help you get there. They have literally made me laugh and sometimes made me cry (in a good way!) but they always seem to hit the spot. Bonus is they arrive first thing in the morning so it is always a beautiful way to start your day in the right frame of mind. It’s actually uncanny how spot on they can be for your current situation. The only hard part is getting through Saturday & Sunday with out them… even the universe takes a little R&R on the weekend!
- Angel Oracle Cards: While there are many different decks these days and everyone has their favorite, the original Angel Oracle cards from Doreen Virtue have long been my go to. They cover just about every possible topic and help you to focus on what needs healing or attention, as well as positive happenings. They are extremely easy to use and have a guide book for reference on the deeper meanings. To use them take a minute to get quiet, ground and center yourself. Then ask the question that is on your mind while you shuffle the deck. I feel like the answers I receive always help me to gain piece of mind. Lately I’ve added Goddess Guidance cards to my daily repertoire especially when I feel the need for a little extra empowerment. If you have a specific issue that is causing you stress or worry, have no fear, there are also Archangel Raphael Healing Oracle cards, Romance Angel cards, and Life purpose decks that you can work with to bring the clarity that you need around any given situation. It’s nice to know that on those days when serenity seems elusive and you want to scream at the sky “What the WHAT is going on?!” You can actually get an answer.
- Bachs Flower Remedies: If you are feeling stressed, anxious or overwhelmed these are your new best friend. The aptly named original “Rescue Remedy” created in 1930 from flower essence, is said by the company to “restore a sense of calm, focus and control, often with immediate results.” I find them to be subtle but effective. You can also customize several issue specific remedies to find your own perfect mix. There is an entire guide on their website to help you identify what is best for your symptoms. Mixing bottles are available if you feel the need, however, I just add to directly to my beverage. My personal favorite is 3 drops of the Rescue Remedy with 2 drops of Aspen in my water bottle, and believe me I have been working this one overtime lately. I love that this is a natural, homeopathic option to help navigate stressful situations, including lack of sleep. There is even a version available to calm pets!
- Hu Chocolate Bars: I usually refrain from sweets…but these are a guilt free kind of love. The people at Hu believe in chocolate as food not candy. I have to say I agree! With an impressive list of natural ingredients, not to mention the mood boosting benefits of superfood Cacao, you can have your candy and eat it too. If you are lucky enough to be in Manhattan there are 2 full menu Hu Kitchen locations available to you. (Can’t wait to try on my next visit to NYC) For the rest of us, Wholefoods locations have thankfully started to carry them. My personal favorites are the Dark and Salty and Crunch Fig. Yes they are exactly as good as they sound! They also make you feel like you are indulging in a decadent treat with out the food hangover afterwards. They are Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free, and made with no refined sugar, no cane sugar, no sugar alcohols, no dairy, no GMO’s no emulsifiers, and no soy lecithin. I have no idea how they tastes as good as they do, but I’m not questioning. I’ve tried my share of “healthy” chocolate options and it doesn’t get any better than this. Besides, I’m working on giving up caffeine and a girl’s got to have a vice!
- My yoga mat is my happy place: Moving your body always helps to improve your mood. There are multiple resources for yoga flows on line if you’re not feeling motivated enough to make it to class. I love to focus on heart opening poses when I’m feeling down, and to jump start my mood even more, I try to always make my mat something to smile about. There are so many fun ways to customize, choose a calming photo, inspiring print, or bold color pattern that brings a little levity to your day. While you focus your gaze you may as well love your dristi! I’m currently crushing on the new Manduka EKO mats, but my all time favorite is a mat that I received as a gift from this hidden gem. It’s extremely cushy in black with my monogram in hot pink at the top. It gives me a great focal point for balance during my practice and the color combo always makes me feel a little more sassy.
Last but not least, the fail safe remedy for feeling bad is making someone else feel good. Okay so you may actually need to leave the safety of your home for this one, but a random act of kindness, adding a little love to someone else’ stressful day, can’t help but elevate your mood. It’s a gift that benefits both the giver and the receiver. That is the magic of an act of love…it always multiplies. So while self love is always a good place to start, don’t forget to share the wealth. A little goes a long way. And to quote an old song…
“love is something when you give it away, you wind up having more”
(Bonus points for anyone who actually knows where that came from!)
Only 10 days of retrograde left campers, and now you know my secrets to survive the most challenging of days, so have fun & hang in there!